Chainsaw carver Ken Sheen from Quesnel put our ideas onto the cedar pole and the result is now standing by the entrance of the spawning channel.
The pole symbolizes the special salmon habitat we have here in Horsefly, to honor and bring awareness out to the public of the importance regarding spawning salmon habitat and our watershed.
The Salmon Pole shows the important life cycle and connection Salmon have to our eco system.
Thank you to United Concrete & Gravel, Williams Lake for the donation and delivery of the concrete.
Thank you to
- Artist Ken Sheen, Equipment operators
- Hugh Barrett – Horsefly, base construction excavation
- Pat Aldridge -Bedrock Gravel Horsefly, pole erection
- Blair Erickson – Horsefly, Rock Solid fabrication/welding, knife blades
Mark your calendars for the last weekend in September (Saturday, Sept 26 and Sunday, Sept. 27) for the annual Horsefly River Salmon Festival! Events include, but are not limited to:
• DFO information booths and fish dissection
• Gyotaku (Japanese fish painting)
• Riparian trail guided tours
• Fishy arts and crafts for kids and fun, educational activities
• Yummy bannock!
• Local river interpreters answering questions